Hi andy!

On 10.08.2014 20:17, andy pugh wrote:
> On 10 August 2014 18:49, Philipp Burch <p...@hb9etc.ch> wrote:
>>   If you generate steps in software, that means that your maximum
>>   step rate will be far below the thread frequency.
>
> This problem is worse with quadrature (which is otherwise, as you say,
> a rather better approach)
>
> LinuxCNC can make a step pulse every base thread, (using the "reset"
> function). It takes 4 base threads to make a quadrature cycle (though
> I guess every change in state can be interpreted as a step, so perhaps
> I am wrong about it being slower)

Ok, I didn't take the reset function into consideration. It needs some
extra consideration to setup the dir line if needed to, but yes, that
makes it faster on the software side at least. So it would almost match
the quadrature performance, which should obviously count every edge, not
just every full cycle. The latter wouldn't be of much use in my opinion.

Cheers,
Philipp