On Thursday 21 August 2014 10:56:33 Ricardo Moscoloni did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Couldnt agree more with Ben Potter comment about inverting stepgen
> signals . I pull my hair out trying to debug this, hundreds of test
> later i came to the same conclusion. The problem was on one axis only
> in mine too..
> regards
> rick

Just to clarify this in my own wet ram, I am used to seeing, for a slow
speed command, a narrow positive pulse at my BOB's output on an external
oscilloscope.

However, with the 2m542 drivers, I could use either polarity as the BOB
can drive both ways, and the 2m542 input is independent & therefore
reversible, so the drive would not be aware of the difference.  I don't
know anything about the G540's, do they bring out both ends of the opto?
If they do, the same trick should work for them.

I suspect, from the conversations I've copied here, that the gecko drives
only accept a direction change in the "between" steps state.  And if the
step polarity is wrong, the dirhold and dirsetup constraints are probably
being violated.  If micro-stepping, its not going to be very much per
direction reversal and would take a while for the error to be noticeable.

But there it is.  One way to possibly check this is to setup a dial on the
axis, and let the stepgen configuration run it back and forth 20 thou at a
speed that won't kill the indicator gears and see if the dial stops at the
same place over an extended period of time.