I agree with you entirely, thats why I put quadrature in the HAL
step generator :-)

Linuxcnc has had quadrature output as an option since the first
release of EMC2.  The HAL software step generator actually
makes about 15 different kinds of pulse sequences.  (Many are
only suitable for ultra-cheap and poor performance "drives" that
directly switch the motor windings with the step signals.)

The problem is that drive manufacturers tend to support the
defacto standard, and that is step/dir, not quadrature.  But if
you have a drive that takes quadrature, LCNC can drive it.

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm