> You think there would be some kind of digital interface on the VFD, maybe a
> serial line so you could send the floating point number and save the effort
> of a round-trip conversion to analog.

Hi Chris,

There's the possibility of using 2 digital inputs to increase and decrease
the frequency (these can be turned on/off at 1khz rate maximum), with a
third one that resets the current commanded frequency to 0.
Apparently those are available and don't need any extra interface. So it
should be not that complicated to make a component to drive those according
to the commanded speed in LCNC. I'll try it next week and if it works well
I could forget about using analog.

The only downside of this is that the component that will set the
frequency on the VFD will never know the actual frequency the VFD is
working at, so it will have to store and take into account every change in
frequency to avoid screwing things up. Later I could try to feed the VFD
frequency to one of the 7i70's analog inputs and use that as a reference.