On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 23:04:10 +0000 Valerio Valerio <vdv...@gmail.com> said:

> > do you have info on what really this is for and why? right now, i don't
> > "get
> > it" where this is meant to be, and why. the qt patches imply it's for
> > take_focus handling - and qt uses this focus mode last i checked. gtk and
> > efl
> > don't (use passive focus where wm does the focus set).
> >

> Here is the reason for that change:
>
> *Kimmo Hämäläinen wrote:*
> "I didn't know about that kind of comment Typical that teams don't ask the
> WM maintainer (me) about it.
>
> Actually the N900 is not a desktop PC, as you might have noticed, so we have
> a bit different focus logic. We avoid setting focus to windows unless they
> specifically request it, this is to avoid needless wake-ups in processes
> (and thus power consumption and often window drawing). It works surprisingly
> well."

... i work on devices too.. that are not desktop pc's... and passive input is
just fine. the reasoning for this change makes little to no sense. firstly the
application just got expose events as it became visible. any clicking on the
screen almsot certainly caused wakeups in the xserver - so the cpu woke up
ANYWAY and a wakeup by the app is incidental. likely it woke up too as it is
listening for mouse mouse, press, etc. events too which it got when you clicked
something to try and interact. so i'd want to see real evidence of real
powersaving here. the xserver woke the cpu up anyway - it's already alive and
processing. just counting wakeup #'s here is false economy as they are not
really consuming power on the extra ones. so as such - they just broke a whole
host of apps with toolkits that use passive focus models. and yes - these apps
DO explicitly ask for the focus as part of the window properties:

> Also seems that this is according to the specs:
> http://tronche.com/gui/x/icccm/sec-4.html#s-4.1.7
>
> During my tests using pyEFL the setFocus function does nothing in Maemo5
> (works in maemo4/ubuntu), I still can grab any keyboard
> event.

efl just doesnt set the input focus field at all - i'll make it set it, but
the default behavior in every wm since the dawn of time has been to set focus
to windows that dont set this field at all assuming conservative behavior - ie
- set focus anyway.