On Sun, 18 Sep 2022 14:08:44 +0900 Masaru Nomiya <nom...@galaxy.dti.ne.jp> said:

> Hello,
>
> In enlightenment (0.25.3 and 0.25.4), and e16 (1.0.24), xdg-open
> exhibits strange behaviours;
>
> 1. for plain text e-mail in many folders, the command
>
>   $ xdg-open 1
>
>   tries to show it in the default audio player.

let me guess - there is a disagreement on mime type as this has absolutely no
way to tell what kind of file that is (without opening it up and poking around
inside). efreet has multiple ways of checking the type one - fo them is an
expensive "poke around inside". efm doesn't use that when it lists files as
it's really costly to go open every file you list and scan around for magic
byte sequences as you list a directory... enlightenment_open uses the more
expensive efreet call that pokes around inside because it's only opening 1 or a
small set of files, not a whole directory. opening up files with poor/ambiguous
extensions is going to lead to this. there are performance tradeoffs.

> 2. for pdf files,
>
>   $ xdg-open foo.pdf
>
>   tries to show it in the pmview.exe (= pictuew viewer for Windows,
>   works on the wine), then enters an infinite loop and forces a
>   reboot.

also possibly you never opened a pdf file with efm and so efm/e is using
whatever came first in the list of files from ALL app desktop files that say
they handle that mime type. some apps handle ALL mime types (or say they do)
thus... they end up by chance being listed. if you open up a pdf once ... then
it'll keep being opened up with that app.

> However, kde-open works correctly according to the settings in the
> mimeapps.list.
>
> Furthermore, its xdg-open works fine on Gnome.
>
> I think there is a bug.

e uses mimeapps.list first - always. falls back to the old defaults.list if no
mimeapps.list is found.

see above :)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com