I started using DR16 before 2005. And DR17, I forgot when exactly, but way before 2010 (probably first sucessfull compile in 2006 or 2007). Still using DR16 in many environments like VNC or VirtualBox because it's much faster to setup, and easier to clone conf FOR ME. So I am almost a 20y E user.

It was PITA to get a working DR17 before 2010, but it was worth the effort.

Never could get transparency work properly (got it for a few months, but was hugely unstable); probably related with the fact I never could properly setup my 3D card (which could be a consequence of my heavy use of Xinerama, or having never less than 3 videos cards from 2 different brands).

E fits my needs; DR17 for daily desktop, DR16 for special uses. It's fluent, reliable, discreet, does not consume screen space, does not consume CPU, little RAM, can be hot restarted (internal menus) when it bugs; can be warm restarted in some case kill -SIGSEGV.

Ocasionally, some keyboard shortcuts may conflict with some app shortcuts, and very often with VirtualBox. If those conflicts become frequent and ennoying, you can easily redefine them in conf menus.

I have issues with DBUS, but it's probably due to the way I initiate X. After exporting system env variables proerly, and at the right place (in ~/.xinitrc before starting E) , it works better.

E have always been better than other DM to remember windows placement at launch (this is critical with Xinerama), and launch X apps at system start. But since I have not tried any other DM or WM since over 17 years ... Also noticed that E properly relocates windows if xinitrc started other end user apps before E itself. It may fail to relocate some windows in some edge cases (launching the same app several times, producing several windows with identical name ... may confuse E after hot or warm restart; relocate them manually, and next cold restart will be fine - happens only when E has to perform a hot or warm restart related woth an OOM, or heavy memory corruction due to Firefox or OpenOffice eating all RAM or corrupting the allocator).

PS: I tend to put my desktop to sleep at night; so I usually have a 1 to 3 months uptime. Firefox and OOo tend to get memory issues after 4 to 8 weeks of continuous work.