On 2023-11-11 22:51, Pavel Sanda wrote:
Hi Kim,

Hi Pavel :)

first let me thank you for your continuous support of e16!

Thank you :)

I have two long-term woes wrt e-16, both bugs are there for years
and not showstoppers, but recent loss of some work pushed me to
finally report it :)

First one: e16 randomly crashes, while minimizing application to iconbox.
It happens extremely rarely - my system is running continuously and once
in couple months this crash happens. I have feeling that it has something
to do with the animation of frame landing into iconbox - as if it interferes
with some another paint event on the desktop but I can be wrong.

Also, sometimes the system freezes for couple seconds while minimizing
operation proceeds (e.g. gkrellm stops any updates). I learnt the hard way that
if I leave it breathing after the unfreeze for couple seconds, the system
survives, but when I immediately continue with minimizing other apps
the chance of crash is quite high.

Does it ring any bell what could be wrong? Because it is so rare running
e16 under gdb to get some backtrace is not particularly practical. But maybe
I could turn on some debug output in backgrounds which could be inspected
once the crash happens?

I do not remember seeing it on my other machines (which do not run continuously
for so long periods though), so it could be also card drivers - in that
case we probably can't do much (Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)).

Doesn't ring a bell. I have my laptop e16 running for months, and it never crashes. But then again, I hardly ever iconify.

I have been running for a while with a couple of xterms being iconified/de-iconified repeatedly, using
$ while true; do eesh wop WINDOWID iconify; done
and I see no problems with valgrind.

How does e16 crash - do you get the Grey Screen of Death? If so, you should be able to switch to a VT, and from gdb attach to the dying e16 process and get a backtrace. This may only be useful if e16 is compiled with debug symbols.

If possible you could also from a VT launch gdb and attach to the running e16, and wait for the crash to happen.

If you cannot do one of these, I can't really think of useful e16 debug to turn on, so to figure this out I'll need some more information, like
- The exact e16 version
- The exact e16 build configuration (the configure flags, e.g. from config.log) - The e16 configuration (~/.e16/e_config--0.0.*, assuming you are running on display :0)

I have not seen problems with graphics drivers in ages so I doubt that is the problem lies there.

You could try disabling iconbox animation and see if that avoids the problem.

Unfortunately it can be quite hard to track down problems that rarely happen.

Secons issue: I have my own epplet, which is launched via .xinitrc
*after* e16 starts (and needs to do so). There is no way I am able
to force e16 not to start 'remebered' epplet from the last session.
The "Restart application on login" is always enabled although I disabled
it many times...
Any help?

Yeah, it works like that. The epplet asks e16 to be remembered every time it starts (actually 2 sec after).
I think the easiest way to avoid that is to insert
 Epplet_remove_timer("REMEMBER_TIMER");
just after Epplet_Init() in your epplet.

/Kim