On Sun, Nov 12, 2023 at 01:38:29PM +0100, Kim Woelders wrote:
> How does e16 crash - do you get the Grey Screen of Death?

Nope, the crash is fatal, you end up back at login manager.

> If you cannot do one of these, I can't really think of useful e16 debug to
> turn on, so to figure this out I'll need some more information, like
> - The exact e16 version

The last one I saw this was 1.0.27, but it was definitely feature of the
previous versions as well. I recently rebuilt for 1.0.29, but now I'm
waiting for new crash to reload :)

> - The exact e16 build configuration (the configure flags, e.g. from
> config.log)

I only use --prefix, nothing else. These things get detected:
Configuration summary

Support for
  Localisation ................. yes
  Sound ........................ yes
    Default .................... pulse
    pulseaudio ................. no
    esound ..................... no
    alsa ....................... no
    sndio ...................... no
    player ..................... yes (/usr/bin/aplay -q %s)
  Sound loader ................. none
  Session management ........... yes
  Zoom ......................... xrandr
  Pango ........................ no
  Xft .......................... yes
  Xinerama ..................... yes
  RandR ........................ yes
  Render ....................... yes
  Sync ......................... yes
  Composite .................... yes
  GNOME session support ........ auto
  Window mode helper library ... yes
  Dialogs ...................... yes

Miscellaneous options
  Event handler API ............ poll
  Use Modules .................. no
  Visibility hiding ............ yes (only useful with modules)

Experimental options - DO NOT USE unless you know what you are doing
  GLX .......................... no
  ScreenSaver .................. no
  D-Bus ........................ no
  XI2 .......................... no
  Present....................... no
  Do not use container window .. no

Installation path .............. /home/pas/root
  Install HTML docs ............ yes
  Install man page ............. yes

Compilation .................... make
Installation ................... make install

> - The e16 configuration (~/.e16/e_config--0.0.*, assuming you are running on
> display :0)

It's in the attachment...

> I have not seen problems with graphics drivers in ages so I doubt that is
> the problem lies there.

Another reason I was thinking about driver problems is that unlike on my other
machines FX ripples/waves are broken on this particular machine. They are
applied
only to some segments of the screen-bottom and reflection does not work
correctly
either...

> You could try disabling iconbox animation and see if that avoids the
> problem.

That's what I was thinking. It's as if the animation "locks" some resource
which is requested exactly during the animation (maybe many times so some
buffer overflows?). Or some race condition for painting e.g. constantly
changing gkrellm and iconify animation.

> Unfortunately it can be quite hard to track down problems that rarely
> happen.

Exactly. Even if I disable the animation now it can take months to reproduce
if the problem persists.
Maybe I need another painful kick to rebuild with debug symbols and set it to
create core file and get backtrace this way...

> > Secons issue: I have my own epplet, which is launched via .xinitrc
> > *after* e16 starts (and needs to do so). There is no way I am able
> > to force e16 not to start 'remebered' epplet from the last session.
> > The "Restart application on login" is always enabled although I disabled
> > it many times...
> > Any help?
> >
> Yeah, it works like that. The epplet asks e16 to be remembered every time it
> starts (actually 2 sec after).

Aha, feature then :)

> I think the easiest way to avoid that is to insert
>  Epplet_remove_timer("REMEMBER_TIMER");
> just after Epplet_Init() in your epplet.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll play with it later...

Pavel