From: Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>
To: Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, May 7, 2023 7:10 pm
Subject: Re: conversation with GPT-4 on black hole QM

On Saturday, May 6, 2023 at 6:21:50 AM UTC-5 John Clark wrote:

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 8:03 PM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I had this conservation with GPT-4 on aspects of black hole quantum
> mechanics. I kept it largely non-mathematical. This is interesting, and it
> suggests a level of processing that is complex. An AI system was fed
> ephemeris data on the appearance of the sun, moon and planets in the sky and
> it deduced Kepler's laws. Holy Sh*t Batman --- the world is changing.

 Holy Singularity Batman, you're right! I think we can safely say that the
Turing Test has been passed. If you had this online conversation 10 years ago
would you have had any doubt that you were communicating with a human being?
And to think, some very silly people still maintain that GPT-4 is nothing but a
glorified autocomplete program that just uses statistics to compute what the
next word in a sentence most probably is. Any rational person who held that
view and then read your conversation with GPT-4 would change their opinion of
it, but some people are not rational and they will continue to whistle past the
graveyard.
wes

I have gone way beyond this. I have also found a couple of errors that GPT
made. It is fairly remarkable though, and it is curious as to where this can
go. Supposedly GPT-5 will be here by year's end.
As for GPT-4 being sentient I am actually rather agnostic on that.
LC

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/167fd892-92ef-4709-b38f-3e4699cb8de8n%40googlegroups.com.