On Wed, May 24, 2023 at 8:07 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> But you'd still need a computation to find the particular tape recording
>> that you need, and the larger your library of recordings the more complex
>> the computation you'd need to do would be. And in that very silly
>> thought experiment your library needs to contain every sentence that is
>> syntactically and grammatically correct. And there are an astronomical
>> number to an astronomical power of those. Even if every electron, proton,
>> neutron, photon and neutrino in the observable universe could record
>> 1000 million billion trillion sentences there would still be well over a
>> googolplex number of sentences that remained unrecorded.  Blockhead is just
>> a slight variation on Searle's idiotic Chinese room.
>>

> *> It's very different. Note they you don't need to realize or store every
> possible input for the central point of Block's argument to work.*
> *For example, let's say that AlphaZero was conscious for the purposes of
> this argument. We record each of its 361 possible responses AlphaZero
> produces to each of the different opening moves on a Go board and store the
> result in a lookup table. This table would be only a few kilobytes.*

Nobody in their right mind would conclude that  AlphaZero is intelligent or
conscious after just watching the opening move, but after watching an
entire game is another matter because in a typical game of GO there 150
moves and there are 10^360 different 150 move Go games, and there are only
10^78 atoms in the observable universe. And the number of possible

> * > Then we can ask, what has happened to the conscious of AlphaZero?*

I'm not saying  intelligent behavior creates consciousness, I'm just saying
intelligent behavior is a TEST for consciousness, and it's an imperfect one
too, but it's the only test for consciousness that we've got. I'm saying if
something displays intelligent behavior then it's intelligent and
conscious, but if something does NOT display intelligent behavior then it
may or may not be intelligent or conscious.

nic