On 5/25/2023 7:04 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:

    Do you have a theory for why neurology supports consciousness but
    silicon circuitry cannot?

I'm agnostic about this, but that's because I no longer assume physicalism. For me, the hard problem signals that physicalism is impossible. I've argued on this list many times as a physicalist, as one who believes in the possibility of artificial consciousness, uploading, etc. I've argued that there is something it is like to be a cybernetic system. But at the end of it all, I just couldn't overcome the problem of aesthetic valence

Why would aesthetic valence be a problem for physicalism.  Even bacteria know enough to swim away from some chemical gradients and toward others.

Brent