On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 5:47 PM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> the reason I believe that LLMs are not conscious is that, in my view,
>> consciousness entails a continuous flow of experience. Assuming for this
>> discussion that consciousness is realizable in a substrate-independent way,
>> that means that consciousness is, in some sort of way, a process in the
>> domain of information. And so to *realize* a conscious process, whether
>> in a brain or in silicon, the physical dynamics of that information process
>> must also be continuous, which is to say, recursive.
>>

> I am quite partial to the idea that recursion or loops may me necessary to
> realize consciousness, or at least certain types of consciousness, such as
> self-consciousness (which I take to be models which include the self as an
> actor within the environment), but I also believe that loops may exist in
> non obvious forms, and even extend beyond the physical domain of a
> creature's body or the confines of a physical computer.
>
> Allow me to explain.
>
> Consider a something like the robot arm I described that is programmed to
> catch a ball. Now consider that the at each time step, a process is run
> they receives the current coordinates of th robot arm position and the ball
> position. This is not technically a loop, and bit really recursive, it may
> be implemented by a time that fires off the process say 1000 times a second.
>
> But, if you consider the pair of the robot arm and the environment, a
> recursive loop emerges, in the sense that the action decided and executed
> in the previous time step affects the sensory input in subsequent time
> steps. If the robots had enough sophistication to have a language function
> and we asked it, "what caused your arm to move?" The only answer it could
> give would have to be a reflexive one: a process within me caused my arm to
> move. So we get self reference, and recursion through environmental
> interaction.
>
>  Now let's consider the LLM in this context, each invocation is indeed a
> feed forward independent process, but through this back and forth flow, the
> LLM interacting with the user, a recursive continuous loop of processing
> emerges. The LLM could be said to perceive an ever growing thread of
> conversation, with new words constantly being appended to its perception
> window. Moreover, some of these words would be external inputs, while
> others are internal outputs. If you ask the LLM: where did those internally
> generated outputs come from? Again th only valid answer it could supply
> would have to be reflexive.
>
> Reflexivity is I think the essence of self awareness, and though a single
> LLM invocation cannot do this, an LLM that generates output and then is
> subsequently asked about the source of this output, must turn it's
> attention inward towards itself.
>
> This is something like how Dennett describes how a zombie asked to look
> inward bootstraps itself into consciousness.

I see what you're saying, and within the context of a single conversation,
what you're suggesting seems possible. But with every new conversation it
starts at the same exact state. There is no learning, no updating, from one
conversation to the next. It doesn't pass the smell test to me. I would
think for real sentience to occur, that kind of emergent self-model would
need more than just a few iterations. But this is all just intuition. You
raise an interesting possibility.

To take it one step further, if chatGPT's next iteration of training
included the millions of conversations humans had with it, you could see a
self model become instantiated in a more permanent way. But again, at the
end of its training, the state would be frozen. That's the sticking point
for me.

> The behavior or output of the brain in one moment is the input to the
>> brain in the next moment.
>>
>> But LLMs do not exhibit this. They have a training phase, and then they
>> respond to discrete queries. As far as I know, once it's out of the
>> training phase, there is no feedback outside of the flow of a single
>> conversation. None of that seems isomorphic to the kind of process that
>> could support a flow of experience, whatever experience would mean for an
>> LLM.
>>
>> So to me, the suggestion that chatGPT could one day be used to
>> functionally replace some subset of the brain that is responsible for
>> mediating conscious experience in a human, just strikes me as absurd.
>>

> One aspect of artificial neural networks that is worth considering here is
> that they are (by the 'universal approximation theorem') completely general
> and universal in the functions they can learn and model. That is, any
> logical circuit which can be computed in finite time, can in principle, be
> learned and implemented by a neural network. This gives me some pause when
> I consider what things neural networks will never be able to do.

Yup, you made that point a couple months ago here and that stuck with me -
that it's possible the way that LLMs are sort of outperforming expectations
could be that it's literally modelling minds and using that to generate its
the neural networks used in LLMs qualify as being general/universal.

> Conversely, if you stay in the high-level realm of consciousness ideas,
>>> well then you must face the problem of other minds. You know you are
>>> conscious, but you cannot prove or disprove the conscious of others, at
>>> least not with first defining a theory of consciousness and explaining why
>>> some minds satisfy the definition of not. Until you present a theory of
>>> consciousness then this conversation is, I am afraid, doomed to continue in
>>> this circle forever.
>>>
>>> This same conversation and outcome played out over the past few months
>>> on the extropy-chat-list, although with different actors, so I can say with
>>> some confidence where some topics are likely to lead.

>>> Do you have a theory for why neurology supports consciousness but
>>> silicon circuitry cannot?
>>>

>> I'm agnostic about this, but that's because I no longer assume
>> physicalism. For me, the hard problem signals that physicalism is
>> impossible. I've argued on this list many times as a physicalist, as one
>> who believes in the possibility of artificial consciousness, uploading,
>> etc. I've argued that there is something it is like to be a cybernetic
>> system. But at the end of it all, I just couldn't overcome the problem of
>> aesthetic valence. As an aside, the folks at Qualia Computing have put
>> forth a theory
>> <https://qualiacomputing.com/2017/05/17/principia-qualia-part-ii-valence/>
>> that symmetry in the state space isomorphic to ongoing experience is what
>> corresponds to positive valence, and anti-symmetry to negative valence.
>>

> But is there not much more to conscious then these two binary states? Is
> the state space sufficiently large in their theory to account for the
> seemingly infinite possible diversity of conscious experience?

They're not saying the state *is* binary. I don't even think they're saying
symmetry is a binary. They're deriving the property of symmetry (presumably
through some kind of mathematical transform) and hypothesizing that
aesthetic valence corresponds to the outcome of that transform. I also
think it's possible for symmetry and anti-symmetry to be present at the
same time; the mathematical object isomorphic to experience is a
high-dimensional object and probably has nearly infinite ways of being
symmetrical and anti-symmetrical.

> It's a very interesting argument but one is still forced to leap from a
>> mathematical concept to a subjective feeling. Regardless, it's the most
>> sophisticated attempt to reconcile the hard problem that I've come across.
>>
>> I've since come around to the idealist stance that reality is
>> fundamentally consciousness, and that the physical is a manifestation of
>> that consciousness, like in a dream.
>>

> I agree. Or at least I would say, consciousness is more fundamental than
> the physical universe. It might then be more appropriate to say my position
> is a kind of neutral monism, where platonically existing
> information/computation is the glue that relates consciousness to physics
> and explains why we perceive an ordered world with apparent laws.
>
> I explain this in much more detail here:
>
> https://alwaysasking.com/why-does-anything-exist/#Why_Laws

I assume that's inspired by Bruno's ideas?  I miss that guy. I still see
him on FB from time to time. He was super influential on me too. Probably
the single smartest person I ever "met".

> It has its own "hard problem", which is explaining why the world appears
>> so orderly.
>>

> Yes, the "hard problem of matter" as some call it. I agree this problem is
> much more solvable than the hard problem of consciousness.
>

> But if you don't get too hung up on that, it's not as clear that
>> artificial consciousness is possible. It might be!  it may even be that
>> efforts like the above to explain how you get it from bit are relevant to
>> idealist explanations of physical reality. But the challenge with idealism
>> is that the explanations that are on offer sound more like mythology and
>> metaphor than science. I should note that Bernardo Kastrup
>>

> I will have to look into him.

I take him with a grain of salt - he's fairly combative and dismissive of
people who are physicalists. But his ideas are super interesting, I don't
know if he's the first to take analytical approach to idealism, but he's
definitely the first to become well known for it.

Terren