On 5/23/2023 6:33 AM, Terren Suydam wrote:

On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 7:09 AM Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

    As I see this thread, Terren and Stathis are both talking past
    each other. Please either of you correct me if i am wrong, but in
    an effort to clarify and perhaps resolve this situation:

    I believe Stathis is saying the functional substitution having the
    same fine-grained causal organization *would* have the same
    phenomenology, the same experience, and the same qualia as the
    brain with the same fine-grained causal organization.

    Therefore, there is no disagreement between your positions with
    regards to symbols groundings, mappings, etc.

    When you both discuss the problem of symbology, or bits, etc. I
    believe this is partly responsible for why you are both talking
    past each other, because there are many levels involved in brains
    (and computational systems). I believe you were discussing
    completely different levels in the hierarchical organization.

    There are high-level parts of minds, such as ideas, thoughts,
    feelings, quale, etc. and there are low-level, be they neurons,
    neurotransmitters, atoms, quantum fields, and laws of physics as
    in human brains, or circuits, logic gates, bits, and instructions
    as in computers.

    I think when Terren mentions a "symbol for the smell of
    grandmother's kitchen" (GMK) the trouble is we are crossing a
    myriad of levels. The quale or idea or memory of the smell of GMK
    is a very high-level feature of a mind. When Terren asks for or
    discusses a symbol for it, a complete answer/description for it
    can only be supplied in terms of a vast amount of information
    concerning low level structures, be they patterns of neuron
    firings, or patterns of bits being processed. When we consider
    things down at this low level, however, we lose all context for
    what the meaning, idea, and quale are or where or how they come
    in. We cannot see or find the idea of GMK in any neuron, no more
    than we can see or find it in any neuron.

    Of course then it should seem deeply mysterious, if not
    impossible, how we get "it" (GMK or otherwise) from "bit", but to
    me, this is no greater a leap from how we get "it" from a bunch of
    cells squirting ions back and forth. Trying to understand a
    smartphone by looking at the flows of electrons is a similar kind
    of problem, it would seem just as difficult or impossible to
    explain and understand the high-level features and complexity out
    of the low-level simplicity.

    This is why it's crucial to bear in mind and explicitly discuss
    the level one is operation on when one discusses symbols,
    substrates, or quale. In summary, I think a chief reason you have
    been talking past each other is because you are each operating on
    different assumed levels.

    Please correct me if you believe I am mistaken and know I only
    offer my perspective in the hope it might help the conversation.

I appreciate the callout, but it is necessary to talk at both the micro and the macro for this discussion. We're talking about symbol grounding. I should make it clear that I don't believe symbols can be grounded in other symbols (i.e. symbols all the way down as Stathis put it), that leads to infinite regress and the illusion of meaning.  Symbols ultimately must stand for something. The only thing they can stand /for/, ultimately, is something that cannot be communicated by other symbols: conscious experience. There is no concept in our brains that is not ultimately connected to something we've seen, heard, felt, smelled, or tasted.
Right.  That's why children learn words by ostensive definition. You point to a stop sign and say "red".  You point to their foot and say "foot".  The amazing thing is how a child learns this so easily and doesn't think "red" means octagon or "foot" means toes.  I think we have evolution to thank for this.

I personally think consciousness is waaay over rated.  Most thinking, even abstruse thinking like mathematical proofs are subconscious (c.f. Poincare' effect).  I think consciousness is an effect of language; an internalization of communication with others (c.f. Julian Jaynes),

Brent

In my experience with conversations like this, you usually have people on one side who take consciousness seriously as the only thing that is actually undeniable, and you have people who'd rather not talk about it, hand-wave it away, or outright deny it. That's the talking-past that usually happens, and that's what's happening here.

Terren

    Jason

    On Tue, May 23, 2023, 2:47 AM Stathis Papaioannou