On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 9:15 AM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 5:56 PM Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> *> Many, myself included, are captivated by the amazing capabilities of
>> chatGPT and other LLMs. They are, truly, incredible. Depending on your
>> definition of Turing Test, it passes with flying colors in many, many
>> contexts. It would take a much stricter Turing Test than we might have
>> imagined this time last year,*
>>

> The trouble with having a much tougher Turing Test  is that although it
> would correctly conclude that it was talking to a computer it would also
> incorrectly conclude that it was talking with a computer when in reality it
> was talking to a human being who had an IQ of 200. Yes GPT can occasionally
> do something that is very stupid, but if you had not also at one time or
> another in your life done something that is very stupid then you are a VERY
> remarkable person.
>
> > One way to improve chatGPT's performance on an actual Turing Test would
>> be to slow it down, because it is too fast to be human.
>>

> It would be easy to make GPT dumber, but what would that prove ? We could
> also mass-produce Olympic gold medals so everybody on earth could get one,
> but what would be the point?
>

> *> All that said, is chatGPT actually intelligent?*
>>

> Obviously.
>

>> * > There's no question that it behaves in a way that we would all agree
>> is intelligent. The answers it gives, and the speed it gives them in,
>> reflect an intelligence that often far exceeds most if not all humans. I
>> know some here say intelligence is as intelligence does. Full stop, *
>>

> All I'm saying is you should play fair, whatever test you decide to use
> to measure the intelligence of a human you should use exactly the same test
> on an AI. Full stop.
>
> > *But this is an oversimplified view! *
>>

> Maybe so, but it's the only view we're ever going to get so we're just
> gonna have to make the best of it.  But I know there are some people who
> will continue to disagree with me about that until the day they die.
>
> .... and so just five seconds before he was vaporized the last surviving
> human being turned to Mr. Jupiter Brain and said "*I still think I'm
> smarter than you*".
>
> *< If ChatGPT was trained on gibberish, that's what you'd get out of it.*
>

> And if you were trained on gibberish what sort of post do you imagine
> you'd be writing right now?
>
> * > the Chinese Room thought experiment proposed by John Searle.*
>>

> You mean the silliest thought experiment ever devised by the mind of man?
>
> *> ChatGPT, therefore, is more like a search engine*
>

> Oh for heaven sake, not that canard again!  I'm not young but since my
> early teens I've been hearing people say you only get out of a computer
> what you put in. I thought that was silly when I was 13 and I still do.
> John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  Extropolis
> <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>

I'm just going to say up front that I'm not going to engage with you on
this particular topic, because I'm already well aware of your position,
that you do not take consciousness seriously, and that your mind won't be
changed on that. So anything we argue about will be about that fundamental
difference, and that's just not interesting or productive, not to mention
we've already had that pointless argument.

Terren