On Tue, May 23, 2023 at 1:12 PM John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2023  Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *> What was the biochemical or neural change that suddenly birthed the
>> feeling of pain? *
>

> It would not be difficult to make a circuit such that that whenever a
> specific binary sequence of zeros and ones is in a register the circuit
> stops doing everything else and changes that sequence to something else
> as fast as possible. As I've said before, intelligence is hard but
> emotion is easy.

I believe I have made simple neural networks that are conscious and can
experience both pleasure and displeasure, insofar as they have evolved to
learn and apply multiple and various strategies for both attraction and
avoidance behaviors. They can achieve this even with just 16
artificial neurons and within only a dozen generations of simulated
evolution:

https://github.com/jasonkresch/bots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBsqlWQTts&list=PLq_mdJjNRPT11IF4NFyLcIWJ1C0Z3hTAX&index=2

I am of course interested in hearing any arguments for why these bots are
either capable of some primitive sensation or not.

Jason