http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140317125850.htm

First direct evidence of cosmic inflation
Date:
March 17, 2014
Source:
Harvard–Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
extraordinary event that initiated the Big Bang. In the first fleeting fraction
of a second, the universe expanded exponentially, stretching far beyond the
view of our best telescopes. All this, of course, was just theory. Researchers
now announce the first direct evidence for this cosmic inflation. Their data
also represent the first images of gravitational waves, or ripples in
space-time. These waves have been described as the "first tremors of the Big
Bang." Finally, the data confirm a deep connection between quantum mechanics
and general relativity.