Hi Bruno!

>> Evolution is a theory on the origins of biological complexity. We know
>> nothing about consciousness.
>

> Do you agree that consciousness is a form of knowledge? That is:
> consciousness requires some knowledge, and (genuine) knowledge requires some
> conscious person)?

I agree, but I feel it begs the question: knowledge is an awareness of
something, it implies consciousness by definition.

What is the situation with an artificial neural network? Does it know
something, or is it akin to a stone being kicked down a hill? Or is
the stone being kicked down a hill akin to our brains and requiring
consciousness already?

> Then do you agree with the S4 theory of rational knowledge, which is that
>
> (knowable x) implies x
> (knowable (x implies y)) implies ((knowable x) implies (knowable y))
> (knowable x) implies (knowable (knowable x))
>
> With the inference rules:
>
> If I prove x I can deduce (knowable x)
> + modus ponens

I'm ok with this.

> If you are OK with this, it is not difficult to explain why evolution, or
> anything actually, cannot NOT bring consciousness, and a first person
> knower, in the picture.

Here I don't follow. Aren't you making the hidden assumption:

(knowable x) => (known x) ?

Notice that I do tend to think what you say, that "anything actually,
cannot NOT bring consciousness" -- but I see this as part of my
"personal religion". I'm just not convinced that the above proves it.

> That is a consequence of incompleteness which make the machine aware of the
> difference between []p and []p & p. The machine can know that []p obeys to
> the modal logic G and that ([]p & p), the definition of "knowable" by
> Theaetetus, obeys to the modal logic S4 + Grz (with Grz the Gregorczyk
> formula).
>
> Now, consciousness is not exactly knowledge, but a knowledge of some
> "reality".

But "who" knows? Again, isn't this begging the question?

> It is based on an implicit automated belief in our consistency
> (which is equivalent with the existence of a "model" in the logician sense,
> which means some "reality" satisfying our belief. This makes consciousness
> close to inconsistency.

Interesting idea.

> Then it can be shown that consciousness, which is unavoidable, has still
> some important role in evolution, as it makes the machine self-speed-up-able
> and more and more autonomous relatively to the probable universal
> machine/number which supports them.

For me evolution has a very fractal-like quality to it, in the sense
that it generates machines that become very similar to the machine
where they come from. I am still not convinced that consciousness is
necessary to explain biological complexification. Can you expand?

> Similarly, we get the feeling and the qualia with the logic of []p a p, and
> []p & <>t & p, with p sigma_1. This add the symmetrical (p implies []p) in
> the picture, and leads to quantum sort of logics.

Here I don't follow. You alluded to this quantum-like logic a few
times but you never expanded (I think). I would be interested in a
more detailed explanation.

> It makes also consciousness into a bridge between the 3p arithmetical
> picture and the (many) 1p internal views, including the first person plural
> physics, making this theory testable (and confirmed up to now, both
> introspectively and quantitatively). cf NUMBER ==> CONSCIOUSNESS/DREAM ==>
> PHYSICAL-REALITY.

Do you believe you can make a prediction that could be experimentally
tested, ideally something that has not been observed yet?

> This explains notably why consciousness is what we know the best from the 1p
> view, and yet is completely NOT definable in any 3p sense (like the notion
> of Arithmetical Truth).

You mean because it does not exist in 3p?

> Intutively: consciousness brings the semantics, or the meaning of our
> beliefs, and that speed-up the possible actions of the machine, making the
> development of consciousness an advantage in the evolution, even if it
> brings some amount of self-delusion, like the many confusion between the
> reality that we infer with a reification of the reality that we observe ...
> until Pythagoras and Plato get back to the scientific doubt and skepticism.

I always have a hard time seeing consciousness as causal. What about
does experiments with MRI that show decision being made before the
person in aware of deciding?

T.