On 26 May 2017 2:26 a.m., "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

On 26/05/2017 9:11 am, David Nyman wrote:

On 25 May 2017 23:18, "Brent Meeker" < <meeke...@verizon.net>
meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

I have told you my theory of virtuous circular explanations.  "Invoke" is a
pejorative attribution.  The physical universe is an *inference *to explain
appearances (and a very successful one at that).

Vocabulary. The point is, assuming mechanism (and please do tell me if
you're reasoning in a different theory), that the inference is to a
particular *selection* of computations from the computational plenitude.
And why is that? Because they 'explain' the appearances. But do they
really? Are those computations - in and of themselves - really capable of
'explaining' why or how they, and no others, come to be uniquely selected
for our delectation? Are they really capable of 'explaining' why or how
those selfsame appearances come to be present to us?

I think you and Brent are using different notions of "explanation". As I
understand your (David's) position, it is a notion of "explanation"
originating with Plato: Plato's theory of Forms offered at the same time
both a systematic explanation of things and also a connected epistemology
of explanation. (Summaries from Jonathan Cohen in the Oxford Companion to
Philosophy.) In other words, the Platonic ideal is that "Ontology precedes
epistemology", to vary Brent's slogan. In the case of mechanism, the
ontology is the natural numbers (plus arithmetic) and for an explanation to
be acceptable, everything has to follow with the force of logical necessity
from this ontology.

As I understand Brent's position (and that is essentially the same as my
position), his concept of "explanation" follows the tradition of British
empirical philosophy, stemming from Bacon, through Hume, to Russell and
others. In this tradition, to explain an observed characteristic is to show
its relationship to a law in accordance with which the characteristic
occurs or can be made to occur, and there is a hierarchy of such laws --
the more comprehensive laws are deemed more probable. This leads to the
dominant model for explanation in the natural sciences, which requires the
citation of one or more laws which, when conjoined with the statement of
relevant facts, entail the occurrence of the phenomenon or uniformity that
is to be explained. This does not rely on any assumed ontology; hence,
"Epistemology precedes ontology".

Interesting analysis Bruce. However, I'm not sure if I can follow you on
all points. I think you're right that in a strictly pragmatic sense
epistemology does indeed precede ontology in that observation provides data
on behalf of theory. But as Popper points out, what counts as data is
already theory-dependent. And the reductive aspect of theory is itself an
implicitly ontological commitment. So if a hierarchy of laws were to imply
mutually inconsistent ontological commitments it would be to that extent
incomplete and unsatisfactory. Indeed the holy grail of (Aristotelian?)
science is a hierarchical "Theory of Everything" that is, in precisely this
sense, ontologically consistent "bottom up all the way down", if you'll
permit me a slogan of my own.

For these reasons I can't accept that your distinction between Platonic and
Aristotelian modes of explanation has much real force. In practice, *any*
effective mode of explanation must inexorably be constrained by its
fundamental ontological commitments, on pain of inconsistency. If these are
unclear, then part of the explanation is to make them explicit, on pain of
obscurantism. And finally of course to count as an explanation it must be
susceptible of constraint by evidence, on pain of pusillanimity.

David

Wherever we want to derive a technology from scientific knowledge, we shall
need to know what causes a desired effect. So we need to distinguish
between different levels of explanation, in that while, for example, the
disappearance of a patient's infection may be causally explained by his
antibiotic injection, the operation of that causal process is in its turn
to be explained by correlational laws of biochemistry. Hence, the
understanding of consciousness in any effective way will be linked to the
creation of effective AI.

This is the paradigm of current scientific practice. Sure, as Bruno says,
this stems ultimately from an Aristotelian approach to science rather than
the Platonic approach. But the history of Western thought has shown the
scientific, or Aristotelian, approach to have been overwhelmingly more
successful, both in developing technology and in reaching understanding of
the nature of reality.

Bruce

Or is this really just the latest case of "If I can't see it, it doesn't
exist?" Perhaps you will be content to say that whatever those computations
are capable of explaining sets the absolute limit of what we can ask in
explanation. But if that's the way it is, I can't help being put in mind of
that old huntsman John Peel, who would assert, with a remarkable
satisfaction in the virtue of invincible ignorance, "What I don't know
ain't knowledge."

David