On 27 May 2017, at 02:07, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 26/05/2017 6:53 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 26 May 2017, at 03:26, Bruce Kellett wrote:
On 26/05/2017 9:11 am, David Nyman wrote:
On 25 May 2017 23:18, "Brent Meeker" <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

I have told you my theory of virtuous circular explanations. "Invoke" is a pejorative attribution. The physical universe is an inference to explain appearances (and a very successful one at that).

Vocabulary. The point is, assuming mechanism (and please do tell me if you're reasoning in a different theory), that the inference is to a particular *selection* of computations from the computational plenitude. And why is that? Because they 'explain' the appearances. But do they really? Are those computations - in and of themselves - really capable of 'explaining' why or how they, and no others, come to be uniquely selected for our delectation? Are they really capable of 'explaining' why or how those selfsame appearances come to be present to us?

I think you and Brent are using different notions of "explanation". As I understand your (David's) position, it is a notion of "explanation" originating with Plato: Plato's theory of Forms offered at the same time both a systematic explanation of things and also a connected epistemology of explanation. (Summaries from Jonathan Cohen in the Oxford Companion to Philosophy.) In other words, the Platonic ideal is that "Ontology precedes epistemology", to vary Brent's slogan. In the case of mechanism, the ontology is the natural numbers (plus arithmetic) and for an explanation to be acceptable, everything has to follow with the force of logical necessity from this ontology.

As I understand Brent's position (and that is essentially the same as my position), his concept of "explanation" follows the tradition of British empirical philosophy, stemming from Bacon, through Hume, to Russell and others. In this tradition, to explain an observed characteristic is to show its relationship to a law in accordance with which the characteristic occurs or can be made to occur, and there is a hierarchy of such laws -- the more comprehensive laws are deemed more probable. This leads to the dominant model for explanation in the natural sciences, which requires the citation of one or more laws which, when conjoined with the statement of relevant facts, entail the occurrence of the phenomenon or uniformity that is to be explained. This does not rely on any assumed ontology; hence, "Epistemology precedes ontology".

Wherever we want to derive a technology from scientific knowledge, we shall need to know what causes a desired effect. So we need to distinguish between different levels of explanation, in that while, for example, the disappearance of a patient's infection may be causally explained by his antibiotic injection, the operation of that causal process is in its turn to be explained by correlational laws of biochemistry. Hence, the understanding of consciousness in any effective way will be linked to the creation of effective AI.

This is the paradigm of current scientific practice. Sure, as Bruno says, this stems ultimately from an Aristotelian approach to science rather than the Platonic approach. But the history of Western thought has shown the scientific, or Aristotelian, approach to have been overwhelmingly more successful, both in developing technology and in reaching understanding of the nature of reality.

Aristotle's Matter was a good simplifying hypothesis. I agree that it has led to some success. But that does not make it true,

For the pragmatic instrumentalist, "truth" is not of primary concern.

I agree. Computationalism is an hypothesis in metaphysics. Metaphysics does not concern a pragmatic person, unless he postulate pragmatism as a metaphysics, but this is not serious after the failure of positivism (even Wittgenstein eventually defended this).

What is relevant is explanation in terms of predictive success.

But this is true for scientific metaphysics. That is why I insist that the point I make is not that comp is true, but that it is testable.

The scientific realist might reject instrumentalism, but suggestions about the underlying ontology have always been shown inadequate in the past -- this being the famous 'negative induction' against scientific realism.

Yes, but that might be, by itself, the sign that we have not yet got the right metaphysical theory. Now, with comp, we have a large choice of equivalent simple ontology, and I use arithmetic for it, as people learned it in high school.

and the price of it has been the burying of many interesting problem (given away to the clergy). Physicalism simply fail to explain the apparent existence of the physical reality,

Why should there be an explanation for this?

That is a personal question of taste. Why to try to unify GR and QM? If they works well in their domain, we could just keep both. But some people searches for an unification of the available knowledge/belief, because cluster of incopatoble theories suggest to them that we have to dig deeper to find the fundamental reason of why we are here, etc..

It might, after all, be just a brute fact that reality is what it is,

But what it is? The point is that if by "it" you mean "physical", then your point is like saying that it is a brute fact that the physical universe brought consciousness. OK, but then we have to say "no" to the doctor. and we get zombie, etc.

so the best we can do is explore and attempt to understand how it works.

Well, there are more promising metaphysics/theologies.

and why it hurts. Computationalism does, but with the price that a lot of work remains for all details. We are at the beginning of the "reversal" only.

I think there is reason to think that the "reversal" cannot succeed.

Then computationalism must be declared false. But you have to give the reason, as this implies the need for some amount of magic in the "brute facts".

You have to get a lot more than you currently have for computationalism to rival conventional science.

Computationalism *is* conventional science.

Non-Computationalism is conventional science + a miracle occurs.

Bruno

Bruce