On 27 May 2017 3:30 a.m., "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

On 27/05/2017 11:46 am, David Nyman wrote:

On 27 May 2017 at 01:44, Bruce Kellett < <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au>
bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> I think it is the interpretation of the data that is theory-dependent.

​Not at all. Data don't just sit there staring you in the face. What is
data in terms of one theory is mere background noise in terms of another.

That is what it means for the *interpretation* to be theory-dependent.

Sure, that too, but prior to that you wouldn't necessarily be looking in
that particular direction or with that particular interpretative mindset
without having at least an implicit theory in the background.

This insight led Popper to reject the notion of induction. As he (I believe
correctly) pointed out, the very notion of the data on which induction
putatively relies is theory-dependent and hence primarily deductive.
Conjecture and refutation is a better account of how science (or any
consistent reasoning) actually proceeds.

I don't think that is an accurate account of Popper. It was the asymmetry
between falsification and confirmation that lay at the heart of his
rejection of induction. His account of scientific practice as "conjecture
and refutation" was rather naive, and philosophy of science has long moved
beyond this.

In my view the dismissal of Popper is often based on a somewhat naive
misreading. The process he described is rarely explicit, especially in the
case of 'normal' science as distinct from attempts at a theoretical
breakthrough. The asymmetry between falsification and confirmation is
likewise frequently implicit rather than stated, but that doesn't mean that
theories are ever more than provisional, even if our confidence in them
grows the more they resist refutation. I need hardly quote you chapter and
verse from the history of science.

​

​

> ​         ​
> And the reductive aspect of theory is itself an implicitly ontological
> commitment.

Not for the pragmatic instrumentalist. Even committed scientific realists
> would only claim that it is only for our best, well-established, theories
> that there is any suggestion that the suggested entities actually exist.

​But we're not interested in "reifying" the ontology. It merely represents
the unexplained part of an explanatory hierarchy.

That is an unconventional definition of ontology. Perhaps one can say that
ontology is theory-dependent in that any mature theory carries an implied
ontology -- statistical mechanics implies an ontology in which
atoms/molecules exist, the standard model of particle physics implies an
ontology in which quarks and gluons exist -- but the theory itself does not
rely on such an ontology. The elements of the theory may be nothing more
than convenient fictions, as was for many years the status of quarks in the
Gell-Mann quark model -- the predictive power of the theory would be in no
way impaired.

That's the sense in which it exists. It's the part that's "independent of
us" simply because, although the basis of any explanation that follows, it
doesn't itself rely on our explaining it.

Quite. Atoms, quarks, and gluons, require no explanation in terms of the
theory. They are just terms in the equations that the theory uses -- their
existence or otherwise is not an issue for the success of the theory.

So if a hierarchy of laws were to imply mutually inconsistent ontological
commitments it would be to that extent incomplete and unsatisfactory.
Indeed the holy grail of (Aristotelian?) science is a hierarchical "Theory
of Everything" that is, in precisely this sense, ontologically consistent
"bottom up all the way down", if you'll permit me a slogan of my own.

The search for such a TOE has a chequered record in the history of science.
Some still hope that such a theory is possible, but the negative induction
from the past record would not lead one to be optimistic that any such
theory exists or is possible.

For these reasons I can't accept that your distinction between Platonic and
Aristotelian modes of explanation has much real force. In practice, *any*
effective mode of explanation must inexorably be constrained by its
fundamental ontological commitments,

That is the case only on your account of "explanation". If explanation does
not rely on an underlying ontology, then it is not constrained by any such
assumed ontology. Not all explanations need be reducible to your model of
explanation.

That's true of course Bruce, but I would think then that any such
heterogeneous account of explanation is in serious danger of falling into
inconsistency.

Why?

Because their respective ontological commitments may turn out to be in
conflict. This crops up all the time in the attempt to unify knowledge over
time. So long as the respective fields can rub along despite this it can be
tolerated. But at the point where such inconsistencies present a serious
inconvenience there is usually an attempt to reconcile the ontological
commitments of previously disparate theories.

And so I can't agree that "my account" of a mutually-consistent reductive
hierarchy of explanation is substantially different from what would
generally be accepted, if only implicitly, as the ultimate aim of
mechanistic explanation tout court. Whatever you say, it must ​be the case,
in the final analysis, that the entire hierarchy of explanation must
ultimately be reducible to a common set of ontological commitments or else
risk frank inconsistency between its constituent elements.

Not at all. There is no inconsistency between explaining a reduction in
infection in terms of an antibiotic injection, and an explanation in terms
of the fundamental biochemistry of bacteria.

Since that is so obviously the case, I might have hoped that you would have
given me the benefit of the doubt that something of this sort was anything
to do with my point. To make use of your example, however, it would
certainly be inconsistent if the science behind antibiotics was based on a
theory, say, of djinns rather than one based on the fundamental
biochemistry of bacteria. There would thereby be a greater likelihood of
divergence between prediction and outcome.

I should re-emphasise here that by ontology I mean merely those explanatory
entities and relations that are in themselves not further explicated within
the theory, but rather serve as the explanatory point of departure. Of
course, you are perfectly correct that, pragmatically, no such
fully-reducible hierarchy has yet been achieved. Indeed it is more than
possible that it never will be.

But I think it would nonetheless be an evasion to claim that ontological
consistency isn't in a rather strong sense an underlying assumption of the
scientific method itself.

Only for the scientific realist, and then the ontology, while assumed to be
consistent, is not necessarily accessible.

The realism in question concerns explanation not reification. The latter is
entirely beside the point.

All modern science is implicitly based, as Bruno correctly points out, on a
common assumption of mechanism, variously realised depending on whatever
level of rigour and detail is achievable at any present state of the art
(if you'll forgive the term). And that mechanistic assumption is in turn
based implicitly on its reducibility to a "fundamental" or irreducible
level (explanatorily speaking). This is true even in the case that any
currently assumed such level is provisional, as indeed must always be the
case, because we are speaking of explanatory consistency, not ultimate
truth. Remember that the assumption of an arithmetical ontology in
computationalism is likewise not presented as an ultimate truth but rather
as the provisional basis for explanatory consistency in what follows.

However, all that said, if your views are indeed as set out above, it's
hardly surprising that you don't feel very compelled by the explanatory
approach of computationalism, in which mutual consistency between
ontological and epistemological components at all levels of explanation is
indispensable. Too bad.

Too bad for whom?

Too bad for the conversation. It seems that we can rarely get very far from
an argument over theoretical ground rules.

And yes, I am not compelled by the idea that explanation must be rooted in
an underlying ontology.

Hmm.. But as I've said above, the whole explanatory schema of
computationalism depends on it. So unless you can provisionally adopt that
mindset to see where it might take you we are forever stuck in "talks about
talks". I don't believe one need feel that that one's whole philosophy of
science is at stake in such an experiment, surely?

David

Bruce