On Fri, Sep 1, 2023 at 2:47 PM Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> No. Knowing the laws of physics is not enough, to make predictions you
>> also need to know the initial conditions. Superdeterminism says more than a
>> given state of the universe is the mathematical product of the previous
>> state, superdeterminism assumes, for no particular reason, that out of the
>> infinite number of states the universe could've started out at, 13.8
>> billion years ago it was in the one and only one particular state that
>> would make experimenters 13.8 billion years later "choose" to set their
>> instruments in such a way that they always *INCORRECTLY* conclude that
>> things can *NOT* be both realistic and local. It would be absolutely
>> impossible to make a larger assumption than this, and that is why it is the
>> largest violation of Occam's Razor conceivable. There are an infinite
>> number of initial conditions the universe could've started out in and in
>> which things would be deterministic today, but one and only one initial
>> condition would produce the universe in which superdeterminism is true. And
>> if superdeterminism were true then there would be no point in performing
>> scientific experiments since there would be no reason for them to lead
>> to the truth, and yet airplanes fly and bridges don't collapse so they do
>> seem to lead to the truth, there is no way to explain that unless the
>> initial conditions were even further restrained such that we set our
>> instruments correctly on all experiments *EXCEPT* when the experimenters
>> try to test for realism or locality, then we "choose" to set them
>> incorrectly. That's why I don't understand how anyone can take this
>> seriously. That is why I think superdeterminism is bullshit.
>>

> *> Bell seemed to think that super determinism meant that the mind of the
> experimenters was determined along with everything else, which he described
> as a lack of “free will”*

I can't comment about that because I've never been able to figure out what
people mean by "free will".

> *it seems he meant by this lack of randomness in their minds*

But a lack of randomness is what you'd expect a mind to produce, at least a
mind that was working properly, that's why when somebody does something we
don't understand we say "why did you do that?" And if they can't give a
good answer, a good reason, a good cause, to that then we say that their
behavior was unreasonable.

eep