On 11/26/2023 5:08 AM, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 5:14 PM Brent Meeker <meekerbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

    /> Everything we know about QM comes from observations, each of
    which is seeing a result, not a superposition of results. /

But nothing we observe in the quantum realmcan be predicted or explained unless we use theories that postulate that a superposition of resultsmust exist. Or to put it another way, the fact that those theories produce correct results comes as close to proving as science ever gets thata superposition of resultsdo exist, or at least they did until something called a "measurement" occurs.

    /> This is the basis of the Copenhagen interpretation.  Do you
    disagree with any of that?/

Copenhagenneeds an additional postulate that Many Worlds does not, Copenhagen needs something called "measurement" that somehow causes most of those results to be completely obliterated so that only the "real" one remains.

Which is exactly what is observed.

But Copenhagen does not explain what a "measurement" is, nor does it explain what attribute the "real" one has that allows it to survive the brutal measurement process that the other results do not have.

No, but in the interventing century decoherence has explained that; something MWI takes advantage of too.

Copenhagendoes not explain why some are more real than others, Many Worlds says the obvious answer to this dilemma is that they are all equally real, so there is nothing that needs explaining.

Except how many of them are they, when exactly is the split, and how do they instantiate the probabilities that we measure.

Brent

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at Extropolis <https://groups.google.com/g/extropolis>
nf)

    Brent

    iyu

    Google Groups "Everything List" group.
    send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1C2QL1yRn9XpEwyL9ea1dqK8wPwE_CfuxkbLOLsS%2BzaQ%40mail.gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv1C2QL1yRn9XpEwyL9ea1dqK8wPwE_CfuxkbLOLsS%2BzaQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/66669d83-e864-4023-a8cf-85ec07c0989c%40gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/66669d83-e864-4023-a8cf-85ec07c0989c%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0ym-k%3DvTroJtV4Low0d3oeBL4BMjRYcksP2bR_Cazuxw%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0ym-k%3DvTroJtV4Low0d3oeBL4BMjRYcksP2bR_Cazuxw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.