The major difference between MessageStats Architecture and StealthAUDIT
is the following.

MessageStats ships over the wire the complete Exchange Tracking log,
where it is then saved in a SQL server for the purpose of reporting.  IF
your exchange tracking logs are 500MB+ and you have 25 Exchange Servers
just do the math and see how much bandwidth is required to move all that
data.

StealthAUDIT uses an agent-less applet that is pushed down to the target
exchange servers, once there is looks through the tracking logs and
summarizes that data. Once done its ships over the wire the summarized
results of the tracking logs.  If your tracking log is 500MB the
summarized results are around 100-500KB in size. This really helps when
you have exchange servers in remote offices all over the world and your
wan links are limited.

I agree if you have a local lan environment and a good dedicated SQL
Server MessageStats will work just fine, but again all your getting is
Message Stats. MessageStats usually retails for around 20$ + per
mailbox, and you'll still have to install and manage 5 other Quest or
competitors tools to get all the functionality of StealthAUDIT for half
the price.