Nice post Edg.  It captures the nudge nudge wink wink environment of
our first exposure to TM.  In my personal interview I alarmed the
teachers also by telling them that I had read "Meditations of MMY"
before my intro, so I was taking TM for God realization.  I was only
16 but I caught the body language shift and also accepted unchallenged
the quick switch to the scientific charts.  But they assured me that
TM fulfilled ALL desires no matter what they were.

As an MIU student with a lot of access to MMY's early lectures from an
inside connection in the library, (getting unauthorized info was like
scoring weed) I was full of "inappropriate" questions for teachers at
my home center during "advanced" lectures.  I remember one
straightening me out about maintaining the code of secrecy in front of
new meditators.

When the press  used to talk to movement reps they often commented on
the obvious double reality in the teaching.  Surrounded by religious
images and phrases they listen to a smug guy in a suit tell them "Are
you gunna believe your lying eyes or what I'm telling you?"

Now the cat is so far out of the bag, the movement is much more like
the early SRM.  That seems more congruent and honest IMO.