Bronte:
  My friend, what should I call you? I can't pronounce your web name -- so,
"friend": Thanks for this observation, and I agree: learning to play an
instrument is often easier with a teacher, but not always. And teachers are not
essential, although most gurus will tell you that they are. It's one thing to
say "I'm a great real estate agent and will help you sell your house if you
like" versus saying "You will never sell your house without my help, you poor
miserable schlep." The latter being analogous to most gurus are saying. And
I'll continue to gripe about that kind of manipulation.

  --So which approach is easier, with, or without a teacher? (in
generaly, don't talk about isolated exceptions). In advance, let's take
care of one exception: HWL Poonja. He states that in his last
incarnation (prior to being "HWL Poonja"...died in the 90's), he was an
advanced Krishna-bhakti Yogi. Then as Poonja in the course of his
travels as an engineer, he happens to get an urge to visit Ramana
Maharshi in his cave. Poonja tells RM about his many visions of
Krishna, and RM asks, "Are you having a vision right now?". Then after
a few more leading questions RM in essence tells Poonja he's "already"
Enlightened. Poonja "got it" and became Enlightened on the spot.
But then, RM was a teacher, wasn't he?