Hello again.
My oldest cat Kia lost weight over a period of time and I just thought maybe it
was because she was old. She hasn't acted sick at all. Back in November my
oldest male cat Gabriel got sick and stopped eating. When he wouldn't take
water I knew it was bad. We rushed him to the vet and the bloodwork showed he
was in renal failure. The vet said it was too late to do anything and we had
him put down. Afterwards I starting thinking about Kia since she is older and
thought I better have her checked out. Due to finances I was unable to take her
to the vet until a few weeks ago. I told the vet she was losing weight and he
assumed she had a thyroid problem. After the blood work came in he told me her
lymphocytes were really high and she had an ear infection and a tooth
infection. We went through some antibiotics and I just took her in last week to
check her blood again. This is when he told me her lymphocytes have
dramatically increased just since the last workup
 a couple weeks ago. He is convinced she has circulating leukemia/lymphoma. He
wants to put her on steroids and an antibiotic. She is also on blood pressure
meds right now. Those two vet visits have wiped out the budget and I am just
praying nothing happens to her. I don't understand how she got leukemia though.
She is an indoor only cat with no contact with cats besides our others. When
she was a kitten she was tested negative and even got a few vaccines for it.
Now I am wondering if this is what killed Gabriel. And I wonder if the other
cats are infected too. I already have a cat with kidney disease. All of our
pets are over age 11.
Thank you for your help.
janet & the gang