Even though this wasn't directed at me I thought I'd give my input (my husband
says I do this all the time - LOL).

The only way I think this would be possible is if the virus is in transition.
Like, it has just gotten into the body and it hasn't had time to do what ever
it does to get into the blood stream.  The ELISA test and an IFA test would be
negative at this point.  I'm not sure if the cat can pass it at this point
though since it hasn't really gotten into the saliva or bloodstream.  Not sure
about that but it seems logical to me.  Then the virus progresses and gets into
the system/bloodstream or saliva and the ELISA test would be positive but the
IFA test would be negative.  I'm guessing at this point the cat could spread
it.  After this if the cat can't extinguish the virus or put it into latentcy
then it gets into the white blood cells and the IFA test would eventually test
positive.  The cat could definitely pass it at this point.  I did for sure read
that if the virus if put into latentcy then it is carried in the bone marrow
but not in the white blood cells or bloodstream or saliva so it can't pass the
virus to other cats.

That's  my thoughts but I'm not a vet.  I know that if it's in latency they
can't spread it which I found very interesting.  The cat wouldn't test positive
at that point either, even on the IFA test.