From: laurak...@aol.com
Sent: Sep 4, 2013 12:51 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] diarrhea

Hi everyone,

I joined the group early in the year when I adopted my sweet felv+ kitten, Dani (who turned a year on June 1st :) About three months ago I adopted another felv+ kitten around Dani's age, Pugsly (he looks just like a little pug--upturned nose and b ig round eyes.)

Pugsly has persistent herpes flare-ups but got that under control with upping his lysine to 500mg twice a day and he's been pretty much fine. Yesterday, though, I found vomit and diarrhea, which I was able to determine to be his. I noticed he didn't eat yeaterday or today with his usual gusto--it's usually gone in a nanosecond. His stool is pasty and jelly-like. There was a very faint pinkish hue to some of it yeaterday. He is still active but not his usual spazzy self. I started probiotic this morning and hope it will help.

He is not feverish and is hydrated. Dani is totally fine.

He also gets NuCat vitamins, two twice a day, and is on a grain free wet food only diet.

I was going to try some pumpkin in his food...I was wondering what other suggestions there are for treating the diarrhea. I also have slippery elm bark.

I know I can call my vet and get flagyl or tylan powder but wanted to reach out here first. I just hate giving antibiotics when it's not known if it's a bacterial cause.

Thanks for reading,

Laura, Dani and her bff Pugsly