Well, I'm trying to get motivated to beam my
daughter's coat warp :)  I got it all spun, sized,
wound into balls, wound the warp, put it on the
trapeze - it's ready to beam, but I just haven't
had the energy or something.

And I'm still working on the weft - precarding
about another pound of wool, drumcarding each batt
twice.  The final carding will make layered batts
out of all the different blues, but that has to
wait until I beam, thread, and tie on that warp
and use up one bobbin of weft yarn to make sure I
know how much to card and spin.

She wanted some very specific yarns - 20 wpi, 20
degree twist angle (which I *really* didn't enjoy
spinning, sizing, or winding into a warp! :)
Natural black for the warp - a mix of Perendale,
Shetland, Romney, and BL I had available.  Lovely
wools, but too much twist to suit my style, so it
was a bit tedious to spin.

The weft is a mix of lustrous medium-type wools -
Cotswold and a shiny Romney for the most part,
dyed in a range of darkish blues.  These wools are
wavy rather than crimpy, so the yarn is more
dense, so contrary to my experience, I have had to
prepare more wool for the weft than for the warp.

She chose a plaited twill threading that doesn't
have a lot of patterning, so it will "read" as
texture close up and practically just a heathery
color from any distance.  She doesn't like to
stand out :)

Well, maybe telling people about this project will
get me moving on it!

In other news, I'm finally gonna be a grandma this
year!  DS and DIL made the announcement Christmas
Day, after 5 1/2 years of marriage :)  The baby is
due in August, they live in TX, and DIL is
convinced she's allergic to wool, so I guess I'll
be looking for cotton baby yarns.  I have some
cotton baby blankets I've woven stashed for this
purpose.

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season,
and can look forward to a healthy and happy 2010!

Holly