Hi,

This is Gail White from Ozark Carding Mill. We spin fibers into plied yarns.

If I had spun your singles, with different fibers, I take all five singles,
from your bobbins or balls of yarn and ply all five together and make a sample
yarn. You don't need too much, 1/2 an ounce of yarn or less. Skein the plied
yarn
off your bobbin and wet it with warm water. Hang it up to dry overnight.

Take a look at the wetted, dried yarn. Is it balanced? Hangs straight and
doesn't
twist. Look at the singles, are they smooth and straight or do they have little
bumps and
loops in them.

Some of the causes of the loops are the differences in the fibers themselves,
ie wool, mohair,
bunny, etc. They will relax at different rates. Little bumps can be caused by
shorter fiber
not spun as tightly as the longer fibers. Based on what you see in the wetted,
dried yarn should
determine how you ply the 5 bobbins. If there's not too much difference in the
yarns, ply all 5
together. If some of the yarns have definite differences, you may want to find
a yarn that
looks similar to them to ply with your yarns. If the differences don't bother
you, some people like
bumps, loops, etc and consider them "designer" yarns, go ahead and ply them all
together.

I would not ball wind all five together before plying as the tension during
plying might vary from
one yarn to another in the group and you won't get an evenly plied yarn.
Holding them in your hand
separately you can tension them individually during plying. Another thought,
are they all spun in the
same direction? Yarns spun in different directions will not ply evenly
together. Have fun. Gail