Holly,

The first word of your paragraph is key in your analysis of the yarn,
"assuming".
The quick, fast way of being sure, is to sample and wet the skein. It doesn't
have to
be 3 or 4 ounces. I've done it with less than a dozen strands. Why take the
chance
on visual "error" when a wet/dried skein will tell you every time.

BTW, yarns with bamboo in them react all together differently than other
cellulose fibers or protein fibers and when mixed together, follow the bamboo
even when there is 60% wool in the yarn.  Gail