Kimberly writes:

<<If you have any ideas on which I might prefer
where I have always spun on a Country Craftsman,
please, let me know!>>

Some thoughts to consider....

The CC is a "relatively" fast wheel - not super
speedy, but faster than most portables.  Make sure
you get at least that speed from any other wheel
you buy or you probably won't be very happy with it.

Consider deliberately buying a Scotch tension or
convertible wheel.  ST generally provides much
more flexibility in the types of yarns you can
comfortably spin than DD does.

What degree of portability do you really want?  A
wheel that will fit easily into a van and is easy
to carry into a meeting from a parking lot is a
bit different from one that needs to fly with you
in a plane, for instance.  Either way, look for
sturdy, not just pretty.  Some wheels come with
carry bags and/or wheels to roll on, allowing
larger wheels to be portable in that they're
easier to move, but then of course you still have
to factor in putting the wheel into a car, bus,
plane, or snowmobile :)

Finally, if at all possible, try the wheels you're
considering.  Every wheel feels a bit different to
treadle and spin on; to adjust tension and put the
drive band on, etc.  I've sat at some wheels that
instantly felt like old friends, while others
remained enemies with me after hours of spinning.

I particularly loathe double treadle wheels :)  I
don't like the rigidity with which I have to sit,
and in spite of manufacturers' claims, none that I
have tried have been stable enough when used as a
single treadle to spin well.  I wouldn't have
known this without borrowing a friend's DT wheel
for a week.  I'm *really* glad I didn't buy that
wheel, for its speed, sight unseen!

Good luck with your search!  Do report back on
what you decide to do.

Holly