Comments about doubled-band-drive (DDB) wheels raise my interest.

Most DDB spinners adjust one of the loops of the drive band so that
there is minimal slip (ideally, no slip) on the drive wheel and on the
large flyer whorl.  The force to draw the yarn onto the bobbin is then
adjusted by controlling the slippage of the other loop on the small
whorl of the bobbin.  This arrangement is described as DDB bobbin-lead,
since the bobbin whorl turns faster than the flyer whorl.  A common
problem with this arrangement is unwanted---and unpredictable---slippage
of the band on the drive wheel.  Messy and self-defeating measures such
as application of belt dressing or rosin on the drive band are often
employed.  But they diminish the spinner's ability to make delicate
adjustments to draw-on force.

What if no slippage were allowed, at all?  With no slippage, the above
arrangement would still be bobbin-lead, but the the yarn would be drawn
onto the bobbin at a fixed rate, dependent wholly on the ratio of the
sizes of the two whorls.  With no slippage, that rate---inches of
draw-on per treadle---could not vary.  That means that for every treadle
cycle a fixed number of inches of yarn could be made---*and*---a fixed
number of twists per inch would be imposed on that yarn---immutably!

The beauty of this no-slip arrangement is that the spinner could select
whorls to produce a yarn with a desired number of twists per inch, and
then the spinner could treadle at a speed appropriate to her/his ability
to feed fiber at the desired grist (density) for the yarn and be assured
of unvarying twists per inch.  Thus, as the spinner grew more adept,
she/he could treadle faster, yet would be producing uniform yarn.  The
draw-on rate would vary directly with the treadling speed.

I called Allen Fannin once and asked him if anyone ever spun that way
(i.e., with no slippage).  His answer: "That's how I spin all the
time!"  Of course, Allen was an exceptional spinner...exceptional in
many other ways, too.

I devised a compromise arrangement.  I use a single nonslip, stretchable
band for the flyer whorl and a soft cotton band for the bobbin whorl.  I
can then adjust the draw-on force easily and reliably, without my having
to worry about slippage on the drive wheel.  Skinny Sketti String used
to be easily available but is now hard to find.  The company that made
SSS now markets the same material as Stretch Magic through bead stores.
Get the fattest they offer, if you'd like to try my system.

This system is wonderfully flexible for all but the fastest spinners,
who seem to prefer scotch tension (flyer lead) and are willing to
re-accelerate the bobbin after a pause to build up twist in a "long
draw" style.  Such a pause is completely or nearly unnecessary in DDB
spinning.  If I were a very fast spinner, I could test the two methods,
but I must leave that to the superfast ones like Holly.  By the way, did
you notice the smiley face that followed her "loathe" statement.  She's
not all bad.<g>  In fact, her writings about spinning, fiber preparation
for spinning, and weaving at her website are some of the most useful for
all levels I've seen.  And they are a pleasure to read.

- Maury