Just for balance I love double drive.  I think it is easier once you learn
to manage the momentum.

I would not reply except for this "loathing" thing where really really
strong dislikes are expressed, and what if you others were successful in
limiting this option and I wanted another wheel?

  Scotch tension brakes the whole system so if you stop treadling it just
stops dead and you have to expend energy to start again.  some confuse this
with control.  Guess it is of a sorts. Imagine if your car did this.

For the record, I have a Lendrum upright and use it for plying because you
can set it for strong pull, and as a go to meeting wheel. My regular
spinning is done on a Watson Marie, which just spins wonderfully and
productively.
No flames please.
Nancy