I know I just sent one reply, but I just thought of another --

You can give your music away all you want to and still retain the
copyright on it.  So you can place your music on the web for free
distribution if you so choose and still own the copyright.  You will
still retain all your rights to enforce when you decide you can generate
some income from it, if you want to, and you can also simply not charge
people for using your music while still retaining ownership so that
others may not earn income from publishing your music, if you choose to.

Copyright is a large conglomeration of various rights and you can
enforce some but not others as you see fit.

Paul Delcour wrote:

> No one should be obliged to give their music away for free. That is
> indeed my choice. I do not expect anyone to be prepared to pay for it.
> But current laws state that copyright remains after death of maker for
> 75 years which is stupid. I feel it should even be gone once my piece is
> paid for, but I haven't worked out how to make that work. It's simply
> how I view my work now, it may well change, but hopefully always aimed
> at getting music knwon and performed.
>
> :-)
>
> Paul Delcour
>

> Mark D. Lew wrote:
>
>> At 9:08 AM 06/18/02, Paul Delcour wrote:
>>

>>> So, do I deny them my composing
>>> and arranging skills? No, of course not. Why should I?
>>>

>> If you want to give away your music for free, good for you. That is your
>> right and we all support you in your choice.
>>
>> The only objection here is to the implication that others are obliged
>> to do
>> the same.
>>
>> mdl

David H. Bailey