At 02:55 PM 6/18/02 +0200, Johannes Gebauer wrote:
>On 18.06.2002 12:31 Uhr, Paul Delcour wrote
>
>> No one should be obliged to give their music away for free. That is
>> indeed my choice. I do not expect anyone to be prepared to pay for it.
>> But current laws state that copyright remains after death of maker for
>> 75 years which is stupid.
>
>I don't think this is stupid at all.

In the US, copyright has an interesting history. It was based on previous
law and tradition, but the wording of the US Constitution establishes it
for a specific purpose (in Article I, Section 8 about the powers of
Congress): "To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing
for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
respective writings and discoveries."

The wording of this is both the basis of copyright here and also how it
comes into conflict with the WIPO treaty. Unlike most of the phrases in
Section 8 (such as "To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on
the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations"), the reasoning is
also built in to the phrases. That tends to mean that the intention was to
be carried out by the law -- "to promote the progress of science and useful
arts," which dead people cannot do.

It was given a social context later (families can inherit it), and with the
establishment of artificial persons (corporations) largely in the 19th
century, it was separated from the creative actions. With several
extensions of coverage (photographs, recordings, software, etc.), it has
become a vast protective network that, because of the corporatization of
both the US and the WIPO signatories, is mostly useful to corporations like
Disney, whose characters were about to expire when our long extension was
passed here in the US.

In any case, and though I'm a member of ASCAP which supports the new law, I
oppose it as being contrary to the purpose of promoting 'progress of ...
useful arts' and just more establishment of long-term ownerships that in
fact impede development in many cases. The web of complex and artificially
endowed rights and legal niceties (Javier just mentioned the one about the
ability to use samples of performances because of performer issues) does
not encourage creativity when the bulk of creative work must now be signed
over to corporate interests based on employment contracts that make *all*
creative work the property of an employer (whether it's made on or off the
job) -- private intellectual property rights are already becoming a thing
of the past, at least here. Already lawsuits over infinitesimally small
sampling have chilled that atmosphere, and folks like Illegal Art and The
Button are issuing recordings that challenge those corporatized
developments. If this condition had been dominant in the past millennium,
whole genres (like variations or parody masses) would have beem wiped out.

It has become all the money, and not about the truth that the bulk of
creativity derives from the society surrounding it, and does not spring
clean and untouched from the mind. The balance initially intended (at least
here in the US) has been lost.

Dennis