At 2:16 PM 06/18/02, Paul Delcour wrote:
>I was aware of what you stated. So for now, my music is for free, but I
>want it clealry stated that I either composed or arranged or wrote the
>lyrics. That's all.

As David noted, copyright under U.S. law is a collection of several
separate rights.  One of those rights is attribution.  If you want to keep
your attribution rights, you don't want to abandon copyright altogether.

It seems to me that you would accomplish everything you want by maintaining
the copyright while granting non-exclusive license to anyone and everyone
for unlimited performing and copyring privileges.

If your concern is that after you die your heirs will inherit the copyright
and revoke this license, then you can set-up a trust with explicit
instructions to continue granting copying privileges, and will all your
copyrights to that trust.  (Or simply pick an heir whom you trust to carry
out your intentions.)

There are also organizations devoted to free distribution of music; you
could hand over your copyright to one of them. I know that the Chorus
Public Domain Library has some sort of legal language whereby it holds the
copyright to preserve attribution rights while granting copying privileges.
Perhaps a similar group exists for non-choral music.

mdl