I'm not going to respond to the main thrust of Lee Actor's points
because he's obviously comfortable with a very different musical
landscape than I am.  Personally, given the music that huge
multinationals like Viacom and Bertlesmann are recording and promoting,
giving emerging artists a chance to get out there and get some
recognition for their efforts doesn't seem like such a bad thing.  It
should be obvious at this point that the major labels aren't going to
take a chance on anyone ever again, and given their monopolistic control
over recording, distribution, media exposure, radio airplay, and
virtually every other step in the chain, a little public funding in
order to give independent artists a fighting chance doesn't seem like
such a terrible thing, given the alternative.

However, his comments on Enron betray so fundamental a misunderstanding
of the situation that I had to respond.

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, at 04:53 PM, Lee Actor wrote:

> You can unfairly castigate the free market if you
> wish (the failure of Enron is a textbook demonstration of the
> corruption of
> government/business partnerships, and it was the natural operation of
> market
> processes that revealed the corruption)

In fact, it was not the "natural operation of market processes" that
revealed the corruption, it was the investigation of government
regulators -- the SEC.  And it was the *deregulation* of the California
energy market which allowed Enron to operate the way it did.  And while
it is indeed the "natural operation of market processes" that allowed
the top brass at Enron and Global Crossing to split with a multi-million
dollar windfall while thousands of their employees get shafted, I'm not
so sure that's a desirable outcome.

- Darcy

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]