At 11:27 AM -0400 6/23/02, Christopher BJ Smith wrote:
>At 5:20 PM -0500 6/22/02, John Howell wrote:
>>

>>Irving Berlin not only survived but flourished not being able to read or
>>write a note of music.  He could play what he wanted (supposedly only in
>>the key of F#, and I guess the pianos rigged with movable keyboards to let
>>him do this are right there in the Smithsonian), and he hired musical
>>secretaries to take down his songs and put them into notation.
>

>I've heard that account from many different sources, and I find it
>hard to beleive that Berlin's assistants were only taking down
>musical dictation. Berlin's harmonic sense was (by all other reports
>of people who heard him play his own songs, like Alec Wilder!) quite
>limited, and the harmonies of his tunes are quite sophisticated at
>times, to which I think the credit should go to his assistants.
>
>Like Linda, I have often been in the position of arranging a melody
>that some client has played to me using I, IV, and V chords, and
>making it quite lush using my own harmonies, to his delight. I
>suspect that Berlin's relationship with his assistants was similar.
>
>Because of the way copyright laws are set up, the person who worked
>out those beautiful chords to all those Berlin tunes doesn't get a
>penny of royalties, as only lyrics and melodies are copyrightable.
>Yet, IMHO, those songs might not have been the successes that they
>were without the contribution of the assistant, so wouldn't they be
>due a bit of spare change?
>
>Christopher

To my way of thinking yes, but the laws deem otherwise.

It's Sunday, and Margot is away visiting her mother, so I feel like
ranting a little.  Disinterested parties are welcome to delete the
following at will.

My mother used to ask me, "Is that a composition of yours or 'only'
an arrangement?"
My response was, "My compositions are my natural born children, my
arrangements my adopted kids.  I lavish love on them all."  To her
credit, she got the point.

Still, for me, it is not easy to feel the confidence and strength
required to come up with newly formed projects all the time, and my
energy often needs a less demanding outlet.  Making a personal
version of someone else's work, work that sometimes seems a little
unfinished to me, can be a rewarding diversion, and it does nothing
to diminish my respect for the basic structure of the piece on which
I am focusing this attention.  If I spend enough energy on a
particularly fruitful arrangement, sometimes a work emerges which
seems to stand on its own.  Nevertheless, it couldn't have happened
without the original thing to inspire it - and there eventually gets
to be a delicately balanced question of proportion in terms of
"credit."

How important is harmony, for instance?

To me, Bill Evans' application of chordal counterpoint to the bridges
of "In a Sentimental Mood" and "Lover Man" (both of them, stunning),
or the whole of Arlen's "Come Rain or Come Shine" has become
inseparable from the way I remember those songs in my head.  But most
listeners are less affected by this and recognize and appreciate the
songs even when they are performed with bizarre harmony (in ignorant
versions).  As one who has learned to respond to harmonic nuance and
become fascinated by it, this is a confusing and frustrating
phenomenon.

On the one hand, the harmony re-makes the song on a deep level (to my
ears).  On the other hand, the process of coming up with a telling
re-harmonization is more like figuring out a crossword puzzle than
writing a poem - not exactly, of course, but something like that.
The general listener hears no important differences, and the true
"credit" goes to the tunesmith.  Part of me understands that, another
part thinks that the originators of the plots of Shakespeare's plays
did not write those plays.

Porgy and Bess is monumental.  Miles Davis/Gil Evans Porgy and Bess
is sensational and inconceivable without Gershwin.  I love them both,
but must admit to being especially attracted to Miles and Gil.  What
does that mean?  They have translated a great work into an idiom that
speaks more personally to me?

A famous pop songwriter/singer was a student of mine for a short time
- a gifted one who learned at an amazing rate.  His work changed a
little as he absorbed information he needed to make his work be more
interesting and move forward when it got stuck, but it wasn't mine,
so I politely sidestepped his elliptical (and kind hearted)
suggestion that I might be due "points" on the resulting album.  I
never could figure out how to make real money out of music.

OK - enough.

Cheers,

Chuck

--