On 22 Jun 2002, at 17:20, John Howell wrote:

> In the
> long run, he'll have to learn by trial and error, just like everybody else.
> (Except, perhaps, Mozart.  I'm not sure he EVER made any errors!)

Yes, Mozart made errors.

Lots of his earliest works were written down by his father, and it's
unclear the degree to which Leopold "corrected" what his son originally
conceived.

And Mozart corrected himself quite frequently, including voice leading.

But his training was very early, and he had the advantage of growing up
in an age in which nearly all the music he heard from birth was part of
the same style.

Of course, all of his contemporaries had that advantage, too, and Mozart
was still as good a composer as a child as most adults, and I need not
say more about his adult compositions.

--
David W. Fenton                         |        http://www.bway.net/~dfenton
David Fenton Associates                 |        http://www.bway.net/~dfassoc