>Because of the way copyright laws are set up, the person who worked
>out those beautiful chords to all those Berlin tunes doesn't get a
>penny of royalties, as only lyrics and melodies are copyrightable.
>Yet, IMHO, those songs might not have been the successes that they
>were without the contribution of the assistant, so wouldn't they be
>due a bit of spare change?
>
>Christopher

It is not true that "only lyrics and melodies are  copyrightable,"
nor was this true in Berlin's day. A chord in and of itself is indeed
not copyrightable, nor is a chord progression that is not part of a
piece. The same is true of any other aspect of music held in
isolation. A tone row, for example, is not copyrightable (or rather,
any copyright in it does not extend to music created using that
row)--but a melody comprised of those same 12 notes is.

If I write a piece of music, then my copyright in that piece applies
to all aspects of it, and if somebody creates a new melody to use
with my original chords, they must obtain permission before making
use of the combination. Consider a jazz performance of a
tin-pan-alley "standard." The original melody may never be heard at
all, but if (as would normally be the case) I call the thing by its
original title, and use the original chord progression, it counts as
a performance of the original song, and a royalty is  collected by
ASCAP or BMI.

Irving Berlin's amanuensis was doing what would now be called "work
made for hire." Regulation of this is much stricter now than it was
then, but the basic principle is the same: If I hire someone to
compose music for me, then I own the resulting music.

Be  all which as it may, however, I do not think, based on what I
have read, that Berlin needed anybody to compose  chords for him. He
played everything  on his famous transposing keyboard, and the
amanuensis simply took down what was played. Doubtless he couldn't
*name* many of the chords, or describe their function, but that's no
reason at all why he couldn't play them. And why would F# major be an
advantage to play in if one were only picking out tunes? If you're
not playing chords, then it would make  more  sense to stick to just
the white keys, rather than the black ones.
--
Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press

http://www.kallistimusic.com