At 08:00 AM 6/22/02 -0700, Linda Worsley wrote:
>So here's my question: (at last)  Faced with this daunting task, what
>would you do?

I've been following this for a few days, because I had a student exactly
like this -- very successful in another field (law), motivated,
self-starter, etc -- with a great ear, ability to play anything he's heard,
and able to write in the styles he loves (mostly 19th century).

I tried the traditional routes as you did. He was insistent on doing it his
way, and did not understand scoring. He had taught himself entirely using
Cakewalk, and could read piano roll style notation (so well that *I* had to
learn how to read it).

I found a few things that were keys to his lock:

1. I could never give him traditional notation and pretend it was logical.
I had to admit that it was only traditional, and like other fields (his),
had grown out of a shared body of knowledge. His biggest issue with
traditional notation was that it was not spaced correctly (vertically). It
is not spaced correctly, but we all get used to accidentals, even though we
know they misrepresent the actual position. Piano roll notation doesn't,
and so the squashed, irregular nature of notation made him angry. He also
found the same with rhythmic notation -- it wasn't ever properly
descriptive of the actual timeline. Again, he was right. Also, traditional
notation does not include a true timeline of expressions; this was perhaps
the most confounding. Where was the notation to indicate precisely how
tempo changed? He could do it in Cakewalk -- why not in notation? So the
admission (to him, the lawyer) of the illogical and sloppy nature of
standard notation was important ... all psychological, but crucial.

2. He had to understand that his decision was to be a composer for people
or a composer for electronic devices (sometimes both, but he had to choose
one or the other for a given piece). I assured him both were valid, but he
had to make the decision. And I gave him a month to think about it -- no
lessons, nothing. It wasn't any fun to foresake the income, but it was
necessary for him to understand that if he was to go ahead with
instruction, he would have to accept as an article of faith that I knew
something about both, and he know something about only one. He decided to
learn to write for 'real people'. He had to sing his stuff line by line
(that was a lesson in itself), and we recorded overdubs so he could feel
what singers would struggle with.

3. We worked on what he had already created, and I presented options,
always options (exhausting!). We reworked his thick stuff for string
quartet. We were still in piano roll notation, as he was fluent in that,
and we used notation as a separate learning track. To have him notate his
complicated pieces was demeaning. So we worked on small things, new things,
in notation. This was *composition* study, so it was supposedly the most
important part of his learning. But he could never, ever be humiliated by
notational traditions, and his composition had to leap out of what he had
done. Tricky. And he rejected *all* textbooks. It had to be one-on-one.
That was his style, all personal. (It's also why I had to learn to read
piano roll notation -- he expected me to be up to *his* standards in all
respects.)

4. We talked over and over about what it meant to work with real people.
That meant having him try to work with players, which he found
extraordinarily frustrating. He begrudgingly came to understand that player
and conductors who didn't want to do his material would do it badly, and he
needed to offer a greater reward than payment. That was tough for a guy
used to having his own way.

So he worked for two years, and ultimately learned enough to work on his
own (that's all he wanted) and be able to hand his material to real
players. I learned a great deal from teaching him -- most of all that I had
to meet his standards before he would respect my instruction.

Dennis