On Tuesday, July 9, 2002, at 01:36  PM, David W. Fenton wrote:

>>> ... I can switch between pizzicato, mute, solo, tutti, and
>>> arco/nat samples just by typing the words above the staff (no
>>> fussy expression dialogs)...

>> is a great request and I think you should send it over to
>> MacSupport. Since we can already type in chords and lyrics,
>> why not be able to type in Expressions if that tool is
>> selected and there's a checkmark on a "Type Into Score" menu
>> item? Cursor changes to a pencil, click for the location,
>> type, and press <Enter> when done.

> Haven't you missed Richard's point?

I deliberately choose not to comment on some aspects of his
post. This doesn't imply that I missed any points that Richard
made, but only that I was feeling especially cordial today and
thought to bring out one item that seemed to be doable in Finale
at the coding level and useful at the user level.

> The point was automatic interpretation of those expressions, so
> that the strings switch to Pizzicato and back to Arco, just
> because the expressions are there.

I didn't mention that's what my expressions do because I've set
them up that way. I didn't quote the part of Richard's post that
went:

        "I've been able to customize default patches for every
instrument I use,"

I didn't mention that it's possible to save instrument and
expression libraries in a library, default document, or a
template and achieve the same effect in Finale.  I didn't
mention that it's possible to duplicate an expression and tweak
a few values so as to accommodate different instruments.  I
didn't mention that it's possible to assign meta tool keys to
expressions and click them into a score very easily.

Although Richard obviously understands Midi usage far better
than the majority of the members of this list, I didn't mention
quite a few other things involved in setting up a score to be
adaptable because it would amount to me telling him how to set
up his score playback _my_ way.  That might not be of much use
to Richard who describes a substantially different Midi setup
than I have and most likely has developed different working
methods to achieve the desired result.

I didn't mention that I agree that Finale's implementation of
these features could be made more user friendly "(no fussy
expression dialogs)" because I'm already adept at using them the
way they are and I'd rather Coda's development time be spent on
Midi support in the forthcoming PDK.

Philip