> What is not addressed in the statements from the Sibelius users is what
> happens to the arco and pizz patch changes if I choose to use a non-GM
> midi module, or if the arco and pizz patches I prefer are in higher
> banks than the basic 128 patches of the GM standard?
>

> Would I be able to assign my own patch numbers to those "type-in-score"
> expressions, or would I be limited to sounds I might not like?

Under the "Play" menu, there is a "dictionary", which allows you to set
other patch numbers, or indeed set velocity or volume changes.  Ironically
enough, I found this window a bit confusing (though admittedly I haven't
spent much time with Sibelius, as I don't have it, but just know some folks
with it).  I can't quite understand the reasoning behind list of patch names
it gives you, as it kind of includes GM names but also things such as "snap
pizzicato" (which is not found in GM).  I haven't looked into it in any
detail as of yet, but my guess is that it still chooses pizzicato even when
you select snap pizzicato.  Can any Sibelius users enlighten me?

> At least in Finale I can define my own expressions to give me exactly
> the sounds I want.

Well, I think you can with Sibelius as well.

Colin.
Colin Broom, composer
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

www.inventionensemble.com