Richard Walker  wrote: "The neat thing about this
is that it is all editable by the user. To behonest,
it's not a pretty job, but it is doable. What I did
was to load adefault set of about 75 patches into my
GigaStudio rig, saving them as aperformance file for
future use. (Yes, it takes a while for everything
toload when Giga is turned on, but I'm willing to put
up with it.) Then Icopied the Sibelius soundset for
General MIDI, changed its name, andreplaced its list
with my Giga instrument assignments, so that
instrument 2is now "flute" and instrument 4 is
"Trumpet (jazz)". Then I created groupsto display
instruments the way *I* want to see them, and replaced
Sibelius'default assignments with my own.It took some
work to set this up, but the result is that I now get
exactlywhat I want in instrument assignments without
the tedium of tweaking everydamned patch in every
damned score, or littering my disk with thousands
oftemplates."

----------------
And doing this would have been much easier in Finale
where creating patch change expressions that can be
accessed via metatools is simple. But using GigaStudio
via patch changes like this is limiting.  I find it is
much more convenient to have the various articulations
for an instrument be selectable via the mod wheel (or
a similar method). So I load 20 or so instruments,
each which has been programmed to have all of it's
articulations selectable on the mod wheel, and then I
can quickly audition through the various styles from
my keyboard, and when I find the right one, hold down
the corresponding metatool key for that mod setting
and click. Done. I've only had to program 8 metatools
(that's all I have to remember), the sounds are easy
to audition, and inputting them is much faster than
typing in a word or even having to select from a
contextual menu. For working with GigaStudio, I see no
way that Sibelius can perform as quickly as Finale.

"Now, where the real power comes in is that Sibelius
has included a "resetinstruments" command, so I can
create a file using my preferred patches, andwhen I
send it to you, you can click a button to reset
everything to playback on your preferred patches.
(Philip, did you read this far? There's aplayback
trick I don't think you can get Finale to do!)"
Well, using my method you would just eliminate the mod
wheel expressions (in one stroke). Since the
instrument list isn't even controlling my GigaStudio
patches, nothing has to change inside of it.

The MIDI Tool is a big part of my arsenal when making
realistic sounding playback files with Finale. It
allows me to add huminizing effects that cannot be
achieved with ease in Sibelius.

Don't get me wrong. I do think Sibelius has a lot of
really cool things. There are plenty of things in it
that Finale could benefit from. But I can't see any
way that it could allow me to work as quickly as
Finale with MIDI.