Hello Richard,

> Now, where the real power comes in is that Sibelius has
> included a "reset instruments" command, so I can create a file
> using my preferred patches, and when I send it to you, you can
> click a button to reset everything to play back on your
> preferred patches. (Philip, did you read this far? There's a
> playback trick I don't think you can get Finale to do!)

Not quite sure what you're getting at or even it's usefulness (I
never share my sounds or scores) but it's possible to load in
saved Instrument/Expression Libraries in Finale. One does have
to reassign staves or substitute expressions though and that's
not 1 click. What you describe in the rest of your post however
sounds like it's actually more complicated to do in Sibelius
than with Finale libraries.

> Maybe this is all possible in Finale, but I've never figured
> out how,...

 From your description, most likely. But there's also the factor
of being able to connect with the whole idiom of an application
and if Finale is not your cup of tea, I'd suggest not to bother
with it because if you find it's like beating yourself on the
head with a hammer, it might be good to stop before you hurt
yourself. I just happened to tune in with Finale's printed
manuals and going through every page of them (3 full days) has
been the key to being able to take advantage of its logical
organization features. F**king laughable the knots some folks
get tied up in because they haven't deduced how to set up up a
score properly in the first place (good business for plugin
developers though).

Maybe a good test of a music application is it's ability to deal
with an orchestral reduction of say an aria (i.e. has lyrics
too) that both prints and plays back correctly. I can do this
and a lot more with Finale. Just like others have mentioned, a
Finale expression can do just about anything you want it to and
we're not bound to organize our output or anything else by a
default setup. I might use "loco" to change channels instead of
transposing or use any one of the other permutations and
combinations possible with such a flexible mechanism.

Philip

mailto:philip@vcn.b
c.ca