Hi Mark,

> I was working on the wireprotocol documentation and had some PDF
> rendering issues. So I looked at the toolset for building documentation,
> and I noticed that some of it is rather dated (for example the
> docbook-xsl and Apache FOP).
>
> In my local copy I have replaced docbook-xsl and FOP with the latest
> version. I haven't looked closely at all output yet, but apart from
> higher memory requirements and more verbose logging it seems to work.
>
> I didn't fully solve the rendering issue that triggered this, but it
> looks like some of the custom XSLs may need some tweaking.
>
> I will do some more testing, but is it ok if I replace the files on
> firebirdsql.org (ALLJARS.ZIP and docbook-stylesheets.zip)?

No, please don't. One of the reasons that some components are rather dated is
that it took us quite some time to get everything working the way we wanted.
New versions of the stylesheets, but especially new versions of Apache FOP,
have often introduced incompatibilities.

Is there a special reason that you want to upgrade? Does the new version offer
a feature you need, or fix a bug you suffer from? If yes, we can consider it,
but we must make sure that the new version builds *all* our manuals (including
the Release Notes) correctly in PDF, multi-page HTML and single-page HTML.

What exactly are the rendering issues you encountered?

Cheers,
Paul Vinkenoog