Hello Mark,

>>> I will do some more testing, but is it ok if I replace the files on
>>> firebirdsql.org (ALLJARS.ZIP and docbook-stylesheets.zip)?

>> No, please don't. One of the reasons that some components are rather dated
>> is that it took us quite some time to get everything working the way we
>> wanted. New versions of the stylesheets, but especially new versions of
>> Apache FOP, have often introduced incompatibilities.

> Is there a list of known incompatibilities?

Not that I know of. But we did run into trouble after upgrading the DocBook
stylesheets and/or Apache FOP. That's why I'm hesitant to upgrade for the sake
of it, unless of course the benefits are worth the extra work it may cause us.

>> What exactly are the rendering issues you encountered?

> I had some issues with specifying the width of columns in a
> segmentedlist as table.

You mean, when tweaking XSLT templates or adding/adjusting xsl:params? Because
segmentedlists don't support width attributes, AFAIK. At least not in DcoBook
4.5.

> A message on the docbook-xsl mailinglist seemed
> to suggest that was fixed in a newer version. Unfortunately that didn't
> fix it, so now I have changed it to a normal table (although it looks
> like the custom stylesheets apply some modifications for html tables
> that it doesn't do for CALS tables).

That's possible. The templates in the custom stylesheets were created on an
as-needed basis. If it fixed the immediate problem, the solution generally
wasn't extended to related elements.

> However if I look at all the changes between docbook-xsl 1.72 (the
> version used by the project) and docbook-xsl 1.78.1 then I am wondering
> if there isn't some other stuff we are missing.

Maybe we do. I think the bottom line is: do we miss a great new feature or a
fix for an annoying bug if we don't upgrade? If the answer is yes, we should
make an effort to upgrade. But this involves building all the manuals and
visually inspecting them to see if any weird stuff happens. If so, then we must
adapt our custom stylesheets. If this turns out to be a lot of work, then we
might be better off fixing that bug or adding that feature in our current
custom set.

Either way, I'm willing to do my share of the work, but again, please let's not
do it just for the sake of upgrading.

Cheers,
Paul Vinkenoog