hi ya richard...

- if its hw that your looking for...
        - checkpoint/pix is expensive as you saw

        - lots of ipchains/iptables with linux or bsd...

- if the traffic is low... a 486 -based system w/ 3 NICs will work too...
        - you can always use an old celeron/P3-xxx  if you need more umphf

- you'd have to dig around to do your own fw config..
        - 3-NIC fw ipchains examples
        http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.1

- pre-installed fw ... middle of the page just above the red thingie
        http://www.linux-sec.net/Firewalls/
        - firewdraw, seawall, shorewall, leaf, ipcop, smoothwall, etc..

- firewall config tools... tons of um ...
        several dozen fw config tools listed just below the red thingie

- list of commercially available fw  too .... humm...

have fun
alvin